Monday, March 26, 2012

Saying Goodbye to Guild Master



Yesterday I did something that caught everyone -- myself included -- by surprise. I stepped down as Guild Master of Concur. We're just shy of our second anniversary on Blackrock, and we had a solid run on Runetotem before that. So, for over three years I've been nurturing and growing what started as a group of seven mates who just wanted to raid together.

When I handed over the reigns, Concur had over 300 members, two 10 man raid teams that have cleared Dragon Soul, a weekend team that hangs out in the Firelands, and a bank at gold cap. When I told my raid leader and good friend of my decision, he completely understood; "You're basically the CEO.", he told me. Oh, don't I know it! The people managememt skills that I learned during my time as GM are phenomenal. It's a shame I can't list it on my resume! But, like all CEO's, even GM's need a break sometimes.

In the week leading up to my resignation, I had yelled at a lot of people -- friends that I love playing with. I am not a yeller; I don't want to be a snarky bitch to people I care about. Sometimes it's incredibly easy to forget that those little avatars shooting fireballs at dragons are being controlled by real people -- people who I've shared many beers and memories with back when we lived in Western Australia! During 'The Big Discussion'that my husband and I had yesterday, he apologised for dismissing World of Warcraft as a legitimate hobby.

For so long he's been harping at me that I should start a "real" hobby like Warhammer 40k so I can experience the, quote, "Thrill of playing in a Tournament against people you like and people you hate, all while knowing you may never meet them again.". I have experienced it, dear Husband. It's called Dungeon Finder. The only difference between World of Warcraft and Warhammer is that pants are optional! In the end, he convinced me that I didn't need to quit entirely like I was planning to. I'm happy he did. Even after all these years, I still do love the game and I don't want to lose this unique way of hanging out with my friends from back home.

I had my first raid last night without the stress and distractions that come with access to Officer Chat. You have no idea how many times I went to type "/o Why don't we try this?"! No, Neri, that's not your job anymore. It's definitely going to take time for for me to realise that some things are no longer my concern, and for everyone to realise that I'm not the go-to gal anymore. Last night the raid leader defaulted to giving me Master Looter, raiders whispered me letting me know they would be late, and I was asked what to do about the last spot that needed filling. Still, not seeing that dark green text and juggling guildie requests all whilst trying to keep the green bars full was lovely.

With all my new-found free time on my hands I might actually research my class! Work on my alts! Put together some more horrendous Transmog outfits! Sadly for you guys, it also means I have more time on my hands to write about all the shit I do in-game and out. It's going to be great to write things for myself and not for the eyes of an exclusive few in the Officer Forums. Let's see how long it lasts before I get drawn back into the gritty world of leading guilds...

No comments:

Post a Comment